Tips for moving to great britain

Tips for moving to the UK

Although many the customs and language are identical, moving to the United Kingdom is still a huge undertaking filled with challenges that can be daunting and exciting. Educate yourself on some of the issues you are likely to face when you move it is a great first step in preparing for this new adventure and will help you plan to help your move go as smoothly as possible.


Find out about the housing and rental market in the UK before you leave. Rents and property prices vary greatly depending on where in the United Kingdom, you want to live. Housing costs are without a doubt the highest in central London is as usual in other major cities. If you're hoping to buy a home, less than 5 percent down is acceptable to lenders who will mortgage the remaining 95 percent. Many expat blogs recommend renting first to get a feel for an area before buying property. Websites like or are great for checking out property deals for renting and owning.


Understand the requirements for bringing pets into the country before making travel arrangements. Britain's Pet Passport Scheme service allows dogs and cats from certain countries to enter the country without a quarantine period. Dogs must be microchipped, have a current rabies vaccination as well as meet various other requirements that are further examined with a blood sample from the pet. Details on quarantine regulations are available through the U.K. Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs website (see Resources).


Estimate how far your money will stretch if you move to England. Assuming that you will be employed when you arrive there, you will want to know how much money you will have to spend on living expenses after taxes are left. Unfortunately, the issue of taxation can be very complicated, especially if you are a citizen of another country. Generally, income tax is collected by the Inland Revenue, the UK version of the IRS, at a rate of anywhere from 10 to 40 percent, depending on your income. It is possible to avoid being taxed on income from the UK and your own country, but it is recommended that you consult a tax advisor to help you do so. The government revenue and customs website, listed in the resources section, will help provide you some clarity around the issue.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *